Thursday, August 8, 2013

A small victory. Maybe...

My last post detailed the fuel issues with the houseboat. As mentioned awhile ago I have a lot on my plate right now but I forgot to mention our other boat's issue.  The day after initially discovering the houseboat's issue I dropped my wife and mother in law off at a festival on the riverfront.   I took them down in our 19 foot bayliner.  The boat started and ran great.  Once I powered down the idle I notice a lot of hesitation and the boat would stall.  A long story short and 2 weeks later I cleaned up corrosion from the distributor cap and now the boat seems to be running really well.  Final test is tomorrow. 

As for the houseboat, I am going to pump the starboard tank out this weekend.  The carburetor is being rebuilt and I will run new fuel lines when I reinstall it.  Hopefully this gets resolved and I can get through this season.

5 comments:

  1. There is a pretty good forum on all things Chrysler 318 in which there is a thread that you might find helpful. http://www.marineengine.com/boat-forum/showthread.php?410380-What-to-do-When-the-White-Gook-Strikes. I am also restoring a 1970 35' Kingscraft single engine houseboat and I will take help anywhere I find it. Thanks for the blog it helps me to stay motivated. Eric Bookstrom

    ReplyDelete
  2. Where are you located? What is the condition of your boat?

    ReplyDelete
  3. I am in Louisville Kentucky, Right now my boat is in pretty rough shape. I have gutted the whole interior, replaced a rusty steel gas tank, power washed the inside and had closed-cell spray foam insulation sprayed on the sides of the hull walls and ceiling. I am currently working on re-wiring everything (there were fused wires in the pilot house and significant electrolysis on the hull on the shore power side). The engine is 43 years old so I'm not sure how long it will last before I have to re-power. All of that said I am not complaining, except for the amount of money we are spending this project has been a lot of fun. I hope to be on not in the water in a few weeks.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Shoot me some pictures. I'd love to see them. Seems the electrical on our boats was pretty poor. It almost seems like they didn't understand the issues with electrolysis. Seems like most of us rehabbing these old boats are going through the same issues.

    ReplyDelete
  5. I don't know how to post pictures here, but sen me an e-mail at wordtobook@bellsouth.net and I'll send you some.

    ReplyDelete