Thursday, August 15, 2013

Getting better.

Well I can put our run about issues to bed.  We took it out for a hour and we didn't experience the issues.  Came down to bad coil and distributor cap corrosion.

As for the houseboat, I puttherebuilt carb on and changed the fuel lines.  The boat fired up and idled without issues.  I am going to pump out the tanks next week.  More to come later.

Thursday, August 8, 2013

A small victory. Maybe...

My last post detailed the fuel issues with the houseboat. As mentioned awhile ago I have a lot on my plate right now but I forgot to mention our other boat's issue.  The day after initially discovering the houseboat's issue I dropped my wife and mother in law off at a festival on the riverfront.   I took them down in our 19 foot bayliner.  The boat started and ran great.  Once I powered down the idle I notice a lot of hesitation and the boat would stall.  A long story short and 2 weeks later I cleaned up corrosion from the distributor cap and now the boat seems to be running really well.  Final test is tomorrow. 

As for the houseboat, I am going to pump the starboard tank out this weekend.  The carburetor is being rebuilt and I will run new fuel lines when I reinstall it.  Hopefully this gets resolved and I can get through this season.

Monday, August 5, 2013

Gas it up!

A picture is worth a thousand words.






This is what 75 gallons of gas in my starboard tank looks like.  I imagine the port tank looks just the same, however that engine is running ok.  So it looks like this off season will consist of me revamping my fuel system as well as my electrical.

I had this on the list for this year in the beginning, and then I took it off.  The boat got angry that I promised it new tanks and then took the promise away.  So here are my plans:

1. Pump out the starboard tank
     -This will take awhile.
2. Replace the fuel lines in the engine bay
     -Currently these are copper and steel.  I am going to replace them with CG approved fuel lines and put a clear inline filter in front of the carb.  Currently there is a fuel/water separator.  All the lines will be new from there out.  I will replace the rest of the lines when I replace the tanks.
3. Get carburetor rebuilt.
     -I have the carb off the starboard engine.  With all the crap in it, I want to clean it up.  I will get the port side rebuilt in the off season.
4. Replace the fuel tanks.
     -This will wait until the off season.  I plan to get them close enough to empty and put in enough gas to get up river and pull the boat.  I will have to really think how I am going to do this.  I will probably have to remove a large portion of the rear salon as the fuel tanks are under the aluminum stringers.  I will then need to cut those stringers out and hopefully remove them without destroying most of the salon. 
5. Since the floor will be removed for this, I will run all new plumbing for the houseboat at this time.

I will be using speedytanks.com for my new fuel tanks.  I have heard great reviews for their service and price.


This boat will end up being about 90% new when I am done with it.