In my past posts you have noticed that I never really got my corrosion issues under control. Well after giving Bob from boatzincs.com I was able to finally get this thing fixed. It ended up being one of the smallest things that I wouldn't have thought of. If it wasn't for my friend that made my new rudder for me, I would still be pissed and scratching my head. I happened to be at his shop bullshitting one day and he happened to mention that he would only use a full plastic shore power connector as he was worried about how it would carry current from the hull to shore. I didn't think much about it, but I purchased a plastic connector to install later.
After talking with Bob, from boatzincs.com, I wanted to test my boat to make sure I wasn't part of the problem. Well, sure enough I was. I went through all the test steps.
1. Turn on your main AC circuit breaker but turn off all AC circuit breakers for appliances.
2. Using an Ammeter to measure amps, take a reference reading
-This reading should be zero. The ammeter that I had wouldn't read below .04 even when not connected to anything so I took that as zero.
3. Now turn on your circuit breakers 1 by 1 and see if your readings change
-I turned on all the breakers and nothing changed. The amps just kept going up without doing a thing.
After sitting there perplexed, I then remembered what my friend had told me. I dug the plastic connector out of the box and started installing. After getting the plastic connector on, I took a reading and it was PERFECT!!!! I can finally sleep knowing my boat isn't just corroding away at the dock. Now lets move onto the next thing!